Pages

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Maples Gulch Colony (A tale of four lodges)





 A beaver pond with four lodges? I have driven past this pond many times, and until yesterday, I thought it only had one lodge (the overgrown one shown in the last photo). Yesterday as I set up shop to observe beavers, I realized there were four. The first photo shown, is where I saw the first adult beaver come from, leading me to believe this was perhaps the active lodge. A while later two more adults appeared to have come from the lodge in the third photo. I watched these adults as they appeared to be eating vegetation from under the algae or perhaps the algae itself? The answer is that I do not know for sure. 


The whole point of this blog is for me to have a place to keep track of photos and videos as I begin to observe different beaver ponds within a few miles from where I live. My goal is to observe the habits of the beavers and to try and establish the population at each pond. Overall, I'd like to learn as much as I can about these awesome animals. Of course as a birdwatcher, I'll be sharing photos of the birds I see along the way also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ace is the place with the helpful Juncos

 This sweet Dark-eyed Junco spent its breeding season in the greenhouse of our local Ace Hardware. It made a quaint little nest in a pot of ...