Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Flooded Park in New Hampshire ( 7/7/23 not the same floods going on now)


  On our first evening away, we checked out a park that had a beach. Upon arriving, we noted signs that said there had been flooding. As we made our way down the hill the brook was decently high. Once the lake came into view it definitely looked a little flooded but I didn't realize quite how badly until we got to this point where the road disappeared under the water. Only to reappear off in the distance (pictured above). 


We couldn't find the beach, which confused me because when I looked it up it was clear they had one here at one point. Later back at the hotel I looked it up and it was clear to see that not only was the beach underwater, so was the large parking area for it. Only then did I realize quite how drastic the flooding was. This was on Friday the 7th, I can only imagine it's flooded even higher now after the torrential rain New England has received these last few days. 

Yesterday we drove through New Hampshire and Vermont on the way back home. It was evident the amount of rain was severe but we were blessed that our route didn't take us anywhere near the worst of it. On the news later once we were home, I saw just how absolutely devastating the flooding has been in Vermont and the New England Region. I drove along some wild rivers on the way home yesterday, but I had no intention of stopping for photos. My only focus was to get us safely away from any high waters. 


At the flooded park on Friday, this was about the only decent photo of a bird I got. A very vocal Killdeer, I assume we were close to a nest or perhaps young, as it's pretty late in the season now. She was flying ahead of us trying to distract us, where we were headed I'm sure was away from wherever her young were. We made sure to circle wide on the way back so as not to cause anymore stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ace is the place with the helpful Juncos

 This sweet Dark-eyed Junco spent its breeding season in the greenhouse of our local Ace Hardware. It made a quaint little nest in a pot of ...