Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Maine (Away from the crowds, a quiet road of serenity)


 I don't believe I'll ever understand folks that vacation just to shop and stay in crowded places. I work in a crowded summer destination for many, and its quite a test of my patience. I notice even when I'm out of town somewhere, I don't enjoy anything with a crowd. 

Upon arrival in Maine, I began searching for a good quiet road to walk down. The next morning, me and my little son set out on this road to see about finding some birds. 


A rewarding clearing offered a view complete with a Common Loon, though it dove before I could get a better photo. Back home a loon isn't all that uncommon during the winter and migration months, but nothing beats a loon in breeding plumage in its breeding grounds. A while later on the way back we were blessed with this loon's vocalizations. A sound that carries a hint of eeriness and a whole world's worth of serenity. 


Around a bend I heard the familiar raspy song of a Great-crested Flycatcher. This is a species I haven't had the luck of seeing much this year, so when this one offered a pose I gladly snapped a photo. A simple bird, but arguably the most unique in it's family in the north east. A medium sized bird with a subtle yellow color on the breast and the personality of something much larger. This species is one that I am always excited to observe. 




Awhile later I saw a flash of orange in a tree, and of course I had to stop and look. To my surprise, this bright colored male Baltimore Oriole flew down and appeared to be feeding on something. I captured a few halfway decent photos. 

It's a peaceful feeling being out on a gorgeous seldom traveled road, just me and my son. Hundreds of miles away from work, bills and stress. It's these moments that I think back on, that make a trip all the more special. We had a wonderful time elsewhere, but when I travel somewhere new;  I always make it a point to find somewhere quiet to explore. Quiet of people, and boisterous with the sounds of wildlife. 

The next morning was a rainy one. I sat on the porch of the inn, and me and Colter watched the traffic going by. As a big truck roared through spraying a mist much like the spindrift of an ocean wave, Colter intently watched it pass. The big trucks tend to grab his attention. In that moment I watched him, so full of curiosity and wonder. I wish I myself could see the world the way he sees it. 

As the rain fell I took in those few minutes on the porch with him. Preparing to drive back home to a busy few weeks of work. I took a snapshot with my mind, so that when I'm gone from home I can put myself there. Just me and him, watching the wet world pass us by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ace is the place with the helpful Juncos

 This sweet Dark-eyed Junco spent its breeding season in the greenhouse of our local Ace Hardware. It made a quaint little nest in a pot of ...